Wednesday, December 20, 2017

rhythm

I am counting
the articles of clothing gone
holding services
for the underwear lost
the favorite yellow lemon stripes ruined
by new born rust
the socks 
forcibly divorced

I am counting beds
ive been in
stacking them on top 
of one another
and by god
the tower is starting to lean

(when will it crush me?)

I am counting the disappointment
by the number of silent mornings
i drive home to the ruby clouds
by the negative degrees
by the greedy minnesota winter
nights swallowed
and the number of prayers
in my car
that it will start

i pray to fucking god
it’ll start
because 
i don’t want to go back
to beg for anything
don’t want to
face myself

I am counting the celebrations
when it does
finally start
and when the engine moans
it has mostly sounded better 
to my ears
than anything did 
the night before

I’m counting the times
ive stayed 
silent

the times I’ve thought
I really should nail down
the definition of rape

I hold court in my head
i use the steady motion 
as meditation
I put him on trial first
then myself

I run from the judges bench to the jury
i end up on the stand
until i am jolted awake
mostly by stabbing
sometimes pleasure

I am not counting the poems
I try to write about my fucking body
or fucking
or consent 

anymore 


No comments:

Post a Comment