Thursday, September 17, 2015

the kids make it alright

At High School for Recording Arts yesterday, 9/16

























the kids make it alright

when i let the water
soak up the lyric 
and trickle down 3rd avenue
i knew several things:

#1
i was not
good enough
to consume this poetry

#2 
the pouring sky that had
washed it away
could not also wash me clean today
it could not wash me new

#3
i was grey matter
i had gotten up that morning and decided
to declare it a day where the sky and I would be twins
we would both be bruised and dwell low to the ground
our shoulders hunched

yesterday 
i taught the worlds next generation
of masterminds
they showed up
on the velvet couches
and plastic blue chairs
pretending to study the meticulous stitching 
of their levis

they scoffed
they laughed
they shined
and when they spit
they preached
gospels
and prophecy 

they spoke the words i had lost
back onto the page

today
i cant teach myself
but i have learned anyways
I have been schooled

and when the clouds hang so low 
they can whisper into my ear
and remind me of my nothing

i crouch 
and defiantly tell them
the kids
they make it
alright

No comments:

Post a Comment